Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Shameless Self Promotion

Back again, if for no other reason than to keep myself regular as a blogger and edge myself ever closer to a gnarly case of carpal tunnel syndrome.  As the title above should infer, I'm here today with a little shameless self promotion.

About a year ago, I developed an obsession with robots and 1940's/1950's sic-fi.  My influences at the time were the wonderful Frank R. Paul, and the myriad artists responsible for the covers on science fiction paperback novels of the above mentioned decades.  It was fortunate also that I was involved in an upper division illustration class at the time and was given the directive, by way of a syllabus, to determine my dream job and develop a portfolio for that job.  I don't know if sitting around all day painting robots is exactly my dream job, but it isn't not my dream job either.

Lets jump ahead a little bit to where I completed that project within those parameters.  Through the slow digestive process of painting, and re-painting, sketching, and writing, what I finally pooped out at the end was a little portfolio/coffee table book which I had printed through Blurb.com.  They did a wonderful job printing the book, and the product was excellent.  I say all that to say this that the book is still available for anyone who is interested.  As of today, it looks like the little mothertrucker is on sale for $18.29 for a paperback copy.  Included in the book are a number of images, such as this:


And numerous others.  A fun fact about this book is that all of the images were painted on an iPad 2.  

If you're interested in checking it out, or perhaps purchasing a copy (all proceeds from sales will go toward keeping me from starving to death) you can get a preview of the book and also buy it directly at  http://www.blurb.com/b/3176324-robotique-life-in-the-age-of-rude-mechanicals.  I don't have an arrangement yet for signed copies, but if you buy one and would like to have it signed, please contact me directly through this blog and I will do what I can to make that happen.  It might even be worth something someday.  

Alright.  The shamelessness is starting to wear off.  But if you want a really cool book with some pretty awesome robot paintings, or know someone who might like something like that as a gift, this thing is pretty sweet.  Thanks for stopping by.  I'll try to stop selling you things for a while.

J. Schiek

P to the S: I finished the first page of Jed The Flying Head #1 today.  Once the comic is finished, I will release it free through this blog for anyone who would like to read it, so keep checking back!

No comments:

Post a Comment