Friday, May 3, 2013

Art Show Confidential

Welcome back, if you ever left, and if this is your first time, then just plain welcome.

Things are ramping up for tomorrow, which is, of course, both Free Comic Book Day and International Star Wars Day (May the Fourth Be With You).  And not that I haven't talked about both of those things enough--reviewing the archives will show you that I have talked about little else in the last two to three weeks--but both events are happening tomorrow, and in conjunction with the latter, Star Wars Day, Ryan's Comics in Murrieta, California will be hosting a Star Wars party in shop, with an art gallery of Star Wars paintings, drawings, and other illustrations created by local artists.  I was just there a few moments ago finalizing a few things with Ryan, who has already set up the artwork for display.

Please to be enjoying these photos of the artwork:








Between my wife and I, we have submitted a total of seven pieces for the show.  I stuck primarily with good guys for my pieces, and Loreal did the portraits of the two Sith lords you see up there.  Her portraits of Darth Maul and Darth Sidious/ Emperor Palpatine are both original acrylics on 16" x 20" canvas.  The Darth Maul painting is entitled, "I'm Ready For My Close-Up, Mr. Lucas," and the Emperor Palpatine image is called, "This Painting Is Fully Operational."  Both works are available for viewing, and purchase at the low, low price of $99, which, if you've ever gone to local art shows, or attempted to by original works you will know is actually very reasonable.

Myself, I am responsible for the paintings you see of C3P0 and R2-D2, "The Droids You're Looking For," the painting and sketch of Admiral Ackbar, "Your Eyeballs Can't Repel Artwork of This Magnitude!", the pencil drawing of Obi Wan Kenobi, "May The Sketch Be With You...Always," and the  Boba Fett drawing, my only villain, entitled "Boba's Smoke Break."  I've set the price for the larger images at $99 a piece, and the two smaller matted/framed pencil drawings at $49 per.  Following are some photos of the pieces a little more close-up.  The photo of Emperor Palpatine shows more of a work in progress, as I was unable to get a shot of the finished piece before it was dropped off at Ryan's the other day.  








So yeah.  These be they.  If you are stopping by with intention to purchase, both Loreal and I will be there to chat it up.  I'm not sure how flexible Loreal is with her pricing, but I'm willing to negotiate if someone is looking to purchase more than one, or whatever.  The evening is going to be pretty awesome whatever happens.  There will be cash prizes for the best Star Wars costumes, refreshments, etc.  Also, if you're coming by earlier in the day, Free Comic Book Day festivities are going to start in the morning around 10AM and continue until official close of business at 7PM.  The store will actually be closing and re-opening for the Star Wars party.

In other news, I underwent an epidural steroid injection to my lower back, which was pretty gnars bars, but surprisingly fast.  It also got me a doctor's note which excuses me from work for today, which is why I'm home today, writing this blog and digesting some delicious street tacos.  

That's about it from me.  If you're going to be at Ryan's tomorrow, I shall see you there!

Yours Recumbently,

J. Schiek

No comments:

Post a Comment